Re: Cable tram safety

"David Martin" <d_martin@mountains.net.au> wrote:

>Whilst we're on this subject, I have often wondered about the hazard
>presented to pedestrians and bicycle riders by the cable.

>I don't know how wide the slot in the road (for the cable) needs to be, but
>I would guess that a child's foot or a bicycle wheel could drop in and
>contact the moving cable, with the possibility of nasty injuries.

>Is this known to be an issue?

It never seemed to be much of a problem, at least there are no reports
of such things in "Mind the Curve", John Keating's book which
discussed "life with the cable trams"

The slots were, however, fun.  Kids would attach a jam tin to a length
of cord with a wire hook on the other end, which was dropped down the
slot and hooked around the cable.  Whe whole thing (a "rat"?) took off
up the street with the aim of frightening the horses.

Geoff Lambert