Re: Lisbon Trams - Some are cable

David Martin <d_martin@mountains.net.au> wrote:

>[Lisboa pictures on The European Railway Server]
>
>Whilst I didn't find any info on gradients, I found several photos of
>funicular trams; Lisbon's steep tram lines may not be adhesion after all.

David, I can assure you that the lines we have been talking about are
as steep as posted _without_ cables. The cable lines are much steeper
than the section I recently mentioned with its 14.5% gradient.

>Anyone who says Sydney streets are too narrow for trams should
>be shown some of these photos. They've got trams running along
>laneways - narrow laneways!

Even though Lisboa is quite extreme when it comes to tram operation
through narrow roads, and even though I unfortunately never have been
to Sydney yet to take a personal view at the local situation, I am
often quite amazed about the argument of "too narrow streets".

In Europe, as stated so often, it was (and fortunately is again after
the Dark Ages of the 1960s and 1970s) quite normal to put tram tracks
into narrow streets. After all, they fit much better into the scenery
with their property of having a perfectly foreseeable loading gauge.

Best regards from Wien (Vienna), Austria, Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Auer --------------------------------- ohne AUTO doppelt MOBIL
http://qspr03.tuwien.ac.at/~wauer/ --- mailto:wauer@qspr03.tuwien.ac.at