Re: MET/Hillside madness

Monarch wrote:

> On 30 Nov 1998 13:04:24 +1100, Clive Newall <crn@itga.com.au> wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >> The idea of revalidating is so the the government knows how much to give
> >> Hillside & Bayside Trains of the profits
>
> >Can't work. Doesn't work. Has been said by OneLink to have never been
> >designed to work that way.
> >
> >Why it can't work:
> >Flagstaff: Validate & gain access to platforms. No record of which
> >line is used. Never will be. (And it will be at least 12 months before
> >there are no more non-MetCard yearly tickets in use.)
>
> Is this how the revenue will be split though?
>
> I too made the assumption that fare distribution would be per line
> travelled on, but with no ticket validation at the station EXIT, (as
> you say)  there's no way to ascertain this.
>
> But with all the city stations being 'split' as follows:
>
> Bayside:
> -Flagstaff
> -Melbourne Central
> -Parliament
>
> Hillside
> -Spencer Street
> -Flinders Street
>
> Will Bayside and Hillside get the revenue from the passengers as the
> ENTER, and which line they then travel on will be irrelevant?
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Monarch.
>
> ---->
> Jason King,
> School of Law and Legal Studies,
> La Trobe University, Australia
> <----

The public transport is not yet privatised (excluding Buses).  This is due to
problems like these.  Also Metcard validating and vending machines are not
reliable.  When the PTC can work out problems like these then the remaining
potion of rolling stock will be sold off to private operators and stations and
track will be leased to the private operator.

At this stage the met has split the Trams and Trains into 4 departments to get
ready for privatisation, this being the reason for having Hillside and Bayside
trains and Swanston and Yarra trams.
--
Jeremy
Melbourne, Australia