Re: Vic Tangaras

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, David Langley wrote:

> > >I will be expecting you to always call melbourne suburban trains either
> > >'comeng' or 'hitachi' from now on.
> > >
> > Actually, if we are using current Victorian conventions for naming trains,
> > shouldn't the 4D be called a 'Goninan'?

What are the Victorian conventions for naming trains?

Hitachi's were built by Martin & King (Clyde), but have Hitachi traction
equipment.  (Hitachi never made cars or other engineering equipment, just
electronic equipment like TV's, Stereo's, CD ROM drives, etc...)

Comeng's were built by Commonwealth Engineering, but have GEC / Mitsubishi
electrical equipment.

Harris's are another story completely.

Call the Goninan built, Mitsubishi motored, Broad Gauge, Twin Passenger
Deck train what ever you want!  The general public (except those on
the BEG/LIL lines) still thinks it is 'one of those new trains', which
will be replacing some old trains and running everywhere soon!!

Gareth.