Re: Driver Only

In article <mauried.178.366B3F84@commslab.gov.au>,
  mauried@commslab.gov.au (Maurie Daly) wrote:
(snip)
> In relation to Hunter Valley coal working, has anything happened in regard to
> the trial of ATP (Automatic Train Protection Equipment) which was
> recommended by the Coroner as a result of the Beresfield Incident and was
> agreed to by the then NSW Transport Minister.

I can't recall it going to a coronial inquiry as no one was killed. Maybe they
did hold one.

No this sugestion has seemed to be burried.  My beleif is this DOO working
will operate between Maitland and Port Waratah/ Kooragang. If there is
difficulty with a train, the worst case scenario would see assitance from
Port Waratah arrive by car in approx 20 to 30 minutes.	The logic behind this
so it would seem would be the cost factor of paying only one crew member
while the train awaits to unload due to conjestion, or in the yard at Port
Waratah and Kooragang.

  In a related note, there is a hell of a lot of new high speed crossovers
being installed in the Hunter Valley. There is a set of high speed crossovers
right at the top of Minimah bank near Singleton for both directions, and also
at least 5 sets are going to be installed between Sandgate and Maitland, to
allow bi- directional running on the coal roads. Of interest all these points
are designed for 80Km/H, on concreate, and also contain the swingnose type of
switch for the "K crossing". In the past the railways steered away from this
practice with high speed points, but now have re- adopted it. The only other
points in NSW to have this setup are the high speed points at Glenfield for
trains to run on the East Hills line.

 I hope this helps

Stuart Ellis