Re: Steepest train/tram line

On Mon, 07 Dec 1998 00:31:41 GMT, G.Lambert@unsw.edu.au (Geoff
Lambert) wrote:

>"Ron BEST" <ronbest@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
>>BTW, on a (vaguely) related subject, I heard that when Metrication hit the
>>Aust. railway systems, Victoria refused to relocate their mile posts to
>>become kilometre posts, but invented a thing called a "railway distance
>>unit', equal to 1.61 kilometres!
>
>They called a "mile-post", abbreviation MP in all the railway
>documents, a "Measurement Post", so the abbreviations stayed the same.
>Then they expressed distances as MP230 plus 450 metres.  A sillier
>thing has rarely been seen (but I could be wrong)

When they finally converted to metric they called them "kilometre
posts" and the abbreviation became KP. Every where in Australia they
call 200 kilometres 200km; in Victoria it is the 200 KP. This is even
sillier when you get more exact 200.723 kilometres is described as the
200.723 KP (I looked but could not find the post;-)).

Cheers

Krel

Just another eccentric crank.