Re: Murray Bridge to Mt Lofty Regrade

Maurie Daly wrote:

> >There are a few people around Blackwood who would agree with you
> >if we are to believe the Sunday Mail last weekend.
>
> >I was merely commenting on Max Michell's proposal given that,
> >unfortunately, $300 million to go over the range at Truro or
> >Angaston is apparently beyond our reach.
>
> Is this figure of $300 million realistic , given that today a high quality
> brand new line , ie 60kg rail CWR on concrete,can be built for $1 million per
> km, which equates to 300 km of brand new track.
> Surely 300 km of new line isnt required to go around the northern part of the
> Adelaide Hills.
> Are there any detailed costings available of the various alternative options.
> One which I though would make some sense would be the upgrading of Monarto Sth
> to Kambria , a new line to Angaston and either standardizing Angaston to
> Gawler or dual guaging it , with a new line to two wells .
> Doesnt come anywhere near 300 km of new track.
>
> cheers
> MD

$300 million is the figure AN and NR used to quote for this line.

It would probably have been new construction Two Wells to Cambrai,
upgrading Cambrai - Pallamanna, new line Pallamana - Murray Bridge,
with associated signalling, loops, siding to Penrice Quarries, etc.

The earth works through the ranges would be extensive, particularly
on the eastern side as the line cut through the flanks of the range
which are really quite steep.

Add a triangular junction at Two Wells and a junction to the silos at
Monarto South.

It is perhaps unfortunate that the best access to the range on the
western side is north of Adelaide, and on the eastern side south of
Adelaide.

Once you have crossed the range the next major range to cross going
towards Sydney is the Great Divide over 1000 km away!

As I recall the cost of standardising Belair - Goodwood - Mile End
was, according to the obligatory signs, $14 000 000.

This went in sleepers, a couple of km of new track, and crossing loops
for TransAdelaide.

As a comparison the new Mt Barker Road / SE Freeway is costing $100
million for about 10 km from Glen Osmond to Crafers.   Most of it
is going in the earthworks which are monumental!

But what would a northern line save in time?

At present it is 2.5 hours to Murray Bridge.   The new line would be
about 50 minutes to Two Wells, another 40 or 50 to Cambrai,
and another 40 to Murray Bridge.

A realignment of the existing line would save 15 to 20 minutes between
Balhannah and Monarto South along my suggested alignment plus another
10 to 15 minutes elsewhere.   This makes Murray Bridge in about 2 hours,
still slow, but somewhat faster than the the northern line would allow.

Cheers
--
Neil Waller	(nwaller@denr.sa.gov.au)
Department of Environment Heritage and Aboriginal Affairs

Unless explicitly attributed, the opinions expressed are personal
and not those of DEHAA or the South Australian Government.