Re: Parramatta to Chatswood Line

Reading the information in the press release cited below reminded me of some
questions that occurred to me when I first saw it in the papers:

Are they going to duplicate platforms at Carlingford line stations other
than Carlingford when the double track replaces the present single line
north from Rosehill/Camellia?  I expect that "Carlingford station" is really
a misprint for "Carlingford line stations", and that we will not see three
stations with gauntlet tracks through a single platform.  Or is the point
that Carlingford will have platform accommodation for local services in
addition to the implied requirements for double track (one of which would be
duplication of the Parramatta River bridge)?

Are they going to extend platform lengths at Carlingford line stations on
the new route?  Presumably the route will be operated with 8 car trains.
Will the existing service from Clyde (including Rosehill race trains) be
retained, using the postulated terminating facilities at Carlingford?

How does providing a new line from Westmead to Chatswood increase capacity
to the CBD (particularly on Northern/Shore line trains)?  Are they talking
about diverting stopping services from the west onto the new line so that
more express services can be run to the CBD?  Are they talking about more
seats being available on the inner sector because passengers transferring
between west and north change trains at Epping/Westmead instead of
Strathfield?

I hope the foregoing comments are a reflection on the nature of press
releases rather than the actual engineering plans.

Jeff

<01be1fd1$a4b36a00$554c0acb@davibenn.pcug.org.au>...