Re: R711

David & Julie Donald wrote:

> Recently there was a posting, and it might have been from Chris Haber, in
> relation to the upgrading and overhaul of R711, with the intention of it being
> used by WCR on the Warrnambool passengers.  At the time, I am sure that there
> was mention that the unit is going to have MU capacity, for working with the
> diesels.  I am a little unsure as to why there would be a need to have MU
> capacity.
> Can someone please explain, for this benefit of this technically deficient
> person, the whole purpose of the exercise, and the likely intentions ??

The only possible need would be to allow a diesel to be worked second unit without
the need for a second crew. This would involve a control stand being fitted to the
steam loco and the one driver would drive both engines. It saves the cost of a
second crew. This has been done on some preserved locos in the US although I can't
think of any specific examples. Sounds like WCR may want to do the same.
Cheers
Bob