Re: Helena Valley Line WA/Jarrahdale?

David & Jan Winter wrote:

> Perhaps of more immediate interest and potential would be heritage and
> tourist applications for the Jarrahdale branch. I understand traffic on this
> line will cease in Dec 98, and that the local council
> (Serpentine-Jarrahdale) is keen for its preservation. Would need
> rollingstock.
>
> Anyone got any idea how it'd go if a semi-preservation/semi-commercial setup
> got a railcar running Armadale-Byford weekdays, tourist runs to Jarrahdale
> weekends? Legals/society status/Loteries grants etc etc?
>
> Also, anyone got any info on putting together LPG-fired steam replica units
> so that tourist lines can use their "appeal" throughout the year?
>
> Regards
>
> David Winter
> (G'day to my old colleagues at ARHS(Vic), Steamrail, etc)
Problem is, the line to Mundijong and then to Jarrahdale is very heavy
duty rail. Westrail is extremely keen to lift it asap and relocate it
for the new Alumina service to Bunbury. This leaves a right of way with
heaps of potential, no track and no way to access it. Damn shame,
really! A trip to the hills so close to Perth would be excellent.

Kimbo