Re: Surrey Hills level crossing

"Ron Bennell" <ron.bennell@qr.com.au> wrote:
>This maybe the same situation that occurred at Glenhuntly years ago when
>crossing trackwork was replaced. Because of the difficulty in getting
>maintenance closures on such crossings, little maintenance is done.   When
>they opened up the old crossing, it had little or no ballast. The new
>crossing work was placed on ballast and had heavy sleepers to avoid the
>need for future maintenance. As this was effectively new track on new
>formation, it subsided, and required re-leveling again a few months later.

Glenhuntly's speed limit is something like 40 for passenger trains (I'll
check the next time I'm down there). The whole crossing now has
rubbery squishy kind of stuff, instead of concrete. I presume it's some
kind of shock absorbing stuff to lessen the damage when the trains cross
the tram line.

It's also got automatic operation of booms at most times - do Kooyong
and Gardiner have this?

Actually, in the 3.5 years I've lived in Glenhuntly, there's probably been
half a dozen closures due to various crossing and/or tram track works.
And I've seen the power on the crossing fail a couple of times - the trains
had to "step" through, lowering and raising the pantos to avoid touching
the tram wires.

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne Australia.
Remove the spam bait to email me personally...