Re: Surrey Hills level crossing

Roderick Smith wrote:

> As well as the excellent rail realignments of c1915-25 (Hawthorn -
> Camberwell and South Yarra - Caulfield), VR has altered rail levels to
> achieve grade separation at: Tottenham, Watsonia, Upper Ferntree Gully,
> Moorabbin, Elsternwick, Middle Park & Montague.

And Box Hill at Station Street. I lived in Box Hill most of my childhood.
That level crossing (it had gates when I was very young, then booms) was
a shocker for causing traffic delays, there were so many trains going
through.

> Most Sydney suburban level
> crossings were eliminated long ago; our blinkered planners couldn't even
> eliminate the one at Burke Rd, Gardiner, in two major rebuildings.

I could hardly believe my eyes when revisiting Melbourne last year that
all that money had been spent building a freeway under Burke Road near
this crossing, but the trains still crossed on the level, thus ensuring
the continued massive delays for the rote 72 trams that have plagued the
latter route for donkeys.

But then with the car-mad Kennett government, what should I have
expected?

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand

Auckland didn’t become the ugly sprawling mess it is today through the
foresight of its city fathers.