Re: Level crossing collisions

>Emergency services and rail operators have this problem in common.
>Being in the Country Fire Service in SA, I keep hearing about this
>problem, and have heard a few rather ludicrous suggestions!  One
>suggestion that was made a couple of years ago involved fitting all motor
>vehicles with an alarm that an approaching emergency service vehicle
>would set off using a radio transmitter.
>I don't think anything has come of this, but one possible extension of
>the above could be to fit the same system to level crossings.

The system was called VEWS  (Vehicle Early Warning System ?)
The trial period ended and nothing came of it. In Victoria the Majority of
Emergency Vehicles are still fitted with the transmitters and are still
operational. I think it was abandoned because the government believed that
very few people would purchase the reciver.

Cheers
Ray
-----
Ray Oaff