Re: Fatality

On 14 Sep 1997 02:20:16 GMT, alberta@zip.com.au (Albert Alcoceba)
wrote:

> KK> Looks like the shit has hit the fan over a rather thoughtless and
> KK> tasteless incident that occurred near Milson's Point station on Friday
> KK> of last week.
>
> I think the actual incident happened a while ago but the media have just
> got on to it now.

More than likely.  The media are often stuffing things up.

> KK> According to media reports on the radio today, the SRA refused to stop
> KK> the trains so the body could be recovered despite pleas from attending
> KK> ambulancemen!!!
>
> KK> If what I heard on the radio today is true, all I can say to those SRA
> KK> people who took this stand is that they (or he) are a pack of fucking
> KK> arseholes!  They (or he) deserve nothing less than instant dismissal
> KK> for this gross act.
>
> Stop to think for a minute.  The accident happened near Milson't Point
> station at the beginning of the AM peak.  Up and down trains were stopped
> for 20 minutes until ambulance staff attended came and it was obvious that
> the lady was dead.
>
> At this time of day, trains have a 2 - 3 minute headway.  Peak traffic flow
> on this section of line is bi-directional (as many people use up and down
> trains during the AM peak).  In the 20 minutes that trains were stopped an
> enourmous backlog would have developed stretching back probably to
> Chatswood on one end and Stanmore on the other.  Delaying trains any
> further would have brought most of the Sydney System to a grinding stop.
>
> This would have been followed by public and media uproars of the
> delays on trains, people losing their jobs, blah blah blah and all the
> other crap that goes on everytime there is a delay to train services.
>
> If the accident victim was dead there is nothing that can be helped by
> removing the body sooner rather than later.  Dead is dead is dead.
> Waiting until the main AM peak was over and the huge backlog cleared is
> a logical decision to be applauded.  About time that emotional responses to
> incidents such as this were not allowed to get in the way of logic.

Emotional response is what a human being functions on.  It governs
everything we do.  Sure, stopping the trains would do nothing for the
victim, but by running them, many other were put at risk of becoming
`victims'.  We see bodies all the time on TV and become quite blase
about them.  But when you see a body in a real life situation you soon
find that you respond quite differently.  Ask a policeman who pulls
bodies out of car wrecks all the time.  They never get used to it.

> KK> Imagine the effect seeing a mulched up body on the tracks would have
> KK> on the mind on a young passenger on a passing train who happened to
> KK> glimpse this sight?
>
> The body was in the six foot on a two track section.  It would be
> impossible to see as a passenger from a train on either track.
> Contrary to what the media implies, trains were not running *over* the
> body.  The body was in the six foot, not the four foot.
>
> However it seems that some train drivers were upset over the incident which
> is regretable. But callous as it may seem it's all a part of the job.

But not a part of the job that should be allowed to occur again in
future.  I wonder how the TC's would have reacted if the body was that
of a relative?

Catchya

   http://www.zip.com.au/~kingpin