Re: Fatality

In the message about  Fatality, from KINGPIN@ZIP.NET.AU to ALL!, KINGPIN@ZIP.NET.AU said:"

KK> Looks like the shit has hit the fan over a rather thoughtless and
KK> tasteless incident that occurred near Milson's Point station on Friday
KK> of last week.

I think the actual incident happened a while ago but the media have just
got on to it now.

KK> According to media reports on the radio today, the SRA refused to stop
KK> the trains so the body could be recovered despite pleas from attending
KK> ambulancemen!!!

KK> If what I heard on the radio today is true, all I can say to those SRA
KK> people who took this stand is that they (or he) are a pack of fucking
KK> arseholes!  They (or he) deserve nothing less than instant dismissal
KK> for this gross act.

Stop to think for a minute.  The accident happened near Milson't Point
station at the beginning of the AM peak.  Up and down trains were stopped
for 20 minutes until ambulance staff attended came and it was obvious that
the lady was dead.

At this time of day, trains have a 2 - 3 minute headway.  Peak traffic flow
on this section of line is bi-directional (as many people use up and down
trains during the AM peak).  In the 20 minutes that trains were stopped an
enourmous backlog would have developed stretching back probably to
Chatswood on one end and Stanmore on the other.  Delaying trains any
further would have brought most of the Sydney System to a grinding stop.

This would have been followed by public and media uproars of the
delays on trains, people losing their jobs, blah blah blah and all the
other crap that goes on everytime there is a delay to train services.

If the accident victim was dead there is nothing that can be helped by
removing the body sooner rather than later.  Dead is dead is dead.
Waiting until the main AM peak was over and the huge backlog cleared is
a logical decision to be applauded.  About time that emotional responses to
incidents such as this were not allowed to get in the way of logic.

KK> Imagine the effect seeing a mulched up body on the tracks would have
KK> on the mind on a young passenger on a passing train who happened to
KK> glimpse this sight?

The body was in the six foot on a two track section.  It would be
impossible to see as a passenger from a train on either track.
Contrary to what the media implies, trains were not running *over* the
body.  The body was in the six foot, not the four foot.

However it seems that some train drivers were upset over the incident which
is regretable. But callous as it may seem it's all a part of the job.

Regards,

Albert.

 * RM 1.31  * Albert! alberta@zip.com.au http://www.zip.com.au/~alberta/