Re: AC16 to be restored

nldoncas@cobweb.com.au (Nic Doncaster) wrote in aus.rail:

>> >, is the only way an exhibit should be preserved. If it ain't moving, it's
>rusting.
>>
>> Les Brown.
>>
>Its an interesting theory (though a little flawed. if its steel, it rusts
>whether moving or not)

Every cliché has a flaw, Nic (:-)

The point to be made is that an item deteriorates much faster as a
static exhibit, than a dynamic one.

>	I had a long chat with blokes at the NRM at York (who, it was suggested have
>most of their more modern exhibits in a state that they can be steamed) on this
>line.

That would still be vastly better than now.

>It raises the ? of a "Grampas axe"; twenty heads and fifteen handles later it
>still "as good as new".

No preserved steam engine exists that has not had a part swapped from
another loco, or made from a pattern. Not even you are comprised of
the same cells you had when you were born with apart from certain
cells in the eyes which remain with you throughout. Of course it's a
case of granpa's axe, but so what? It's a case of an engine being an
identifiable member of a certain class according to the design. Who
cares if it's comprised of bits cannabalised from scrapped locos?

>Certainly a museum should have an exmaple or two of what an engine is like in
>steam or running, but for the average show without lots of Govt support, the
>likes of Redbank mearly becomes a pipe dream Even the railways attempting to
>operate on a more commercial level cannot afford to steam all and sundry all of
>the time.

>But thats away from the issue here.

Well, I think it's relevant.

>The York theory was that to run all their engines regularly would mean that
>eventually, they will need major repairs (first example of this in SA in PRR and
>one of thier W's with a dicky boiler) and/or refurbishments (Sorry PRR, a la
>T186). the point will come where the only original bit is the builders plate!

>So, the ? of "preservation".(won't reach for the book for some wanky definition)
>does it  mean that operation is in contrast to keeping the object in its
>original form (a la K1 in Wales).

>The problem for most museums is that an operating exhibit will chew the $$$$ and
>person power, may set up petty  power games and groups, and so forth, all the
>time drawing away from static displays.

>The new problem for both static and operating societies is the RSA shit.

>Its a hard ? to make a clear point on.But worthy to think about.

>Feel free to flame me.

No, you have raised many valid points. I think all I can add to what
you have said is that a loco preserved in working order will last a
lot longer than one statically. No responsible museum would/should
store a working museum loco in the weather, especially in a place like
North Williamstown, being so close to the sea like it is.

The Victorian Govt. seems keen to relocate the Railway Museum to the
Melbourne Goods shed. That seems to be on the right track (n.p.i.) but
a better covered location should be sought and the sooner the better.
I can't imagine them trying to move one of the more ancient locos in a
few more years without it falling apart at the first attempt.

Les Brown.