Re: Maps

On 9 Sep 1997 02:06:40 GMT, John Abraham Cleverdon
<clev@minyos.its.rmit.EDU.AU> wrote:

>Craig Haber <albatross@harnessnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>: David A. wrote:
>: > 5) Mont Park Asylum branch, which presumably came off somewhere near
>: > Macleod.
>
>: This line can be readily traced.  I've never seen any photo's of it, but
>: you can quite easily walk most of the route.  It appears that the line
>: branched from the up end of Macleod Station (on the alignment of what is
>: now the platform 3 siding road) - it you look on the walkway behind
>: platform 3, you see an overhead staunchion suggesting:
>: a) the line curved away from the station and perhaps did not have a
>: platform
>: b) the line was at a considerable higher level than the existing
>: platform 3 road.
>
><snip>
>
>: Cheers,
>: Craig.
>
>IIRC, this line is actually on the first or second edition of the Melways
>(circa late 60's). Try the State Library for a copy.

Mont Park station is in my 4th edition Melways (1970), but is gone by
the next edition (1972).

Also shown in this Melways are Paisley and Galvin stations on the
Werribee line and Mobiltown on the Altona line (which is now part of
the Werribee line). I've also noticed Mobiltown on some old maps which
are still in a few trains. What happened to these?

Glenn