Re: Australian Rail Highway

"Chris Brownbill" <cbrnbill@enternet.com.au> wrote:

>Can somebody please explain exactly the meaning of the TV news story titled
>"Australia's Rail Highway" I have just seen on ABC TV.  It makes no sense
>to me.

>The story claims that today at a meeting of all State and Federal Transport
>ministers, an agreement was signed that would see by mid next year all
>Australian Railways amalgamated into one!  It also stated that this would
>reduce the number of railways from the present 22 systems.

>The story also claimed that the federal government would spend $250million
>to improve the rail infrastucture, and that the State Governments would
>also chip in some funds too.  The words spoken by the illustrious State
>transport ministers were along the lines of "This is a great day for rail
>in Australia", and "This will bring much new traffic to rail" etc etc.

I would treat anything that comes from joint ministerial or
special prime ministers meetings with great suspicion.
On the 30/7/91 NRC was formed at one of these meetings and it
was going to solve all our National Freight problems.!!

The $250 million from the Feds is chicken feed and only a
fraction of what they should be spending on rail.

Let's wait and see, .......I'll bet "State Interests" will get
in the road again, as it always has.

Cheers

----Tell
Alice Springs NT