Re: More C class locos for storage.

dbromage@metz.une.edu.au (David Bromage) wrote:

>Paul Pickford (boss@opera.iinet.net.au.nospamthanks) wrote:
>>I often wondered why that when working freighters, signals would stay red,
>>until we used the air brake. The millisecond we applied the brake, the
>>stick would go to green or yellow. Then someone pointed out why.
>>The signals and air brake, are both made by Westinghouse. There is
>>obviously some sort of covert communication going on here. Sinister I
>>think...

>And, of course, Westinghouse brakes can't be graduated off in the same way
>vacuum brakes can. Dump all the air, pump up the main again. All serves to
>wear the Westinghouse air pump out faster and force early replacement. :)

>Cheers
>David

Caution ........Flame material.

Speaking of brakes, were you aware that the Commonwealth Railways
NSU's 63 & 64 were fitted with Vacuum and Westinghouse brakes for
the North Australia Railway.

I was not aware of it until the day I had to find an air leak on
one of Roberts Constructions NSU's (they ripped up the Oodnadatta
SA to Ewaninga NT section of the old CAR) and found a whole heap
of surplus pipe work under the cab floor, I consulted the
Workshop manuals that Robert's obtained from ANR and found the
full vacuum layout as fitted in the UK.!

Cheers

----Tell
Alice Springs NT