Re: More C class locos for storage.

Terry Burton (telljb@ozemail.com.au) wrote:
>NSU's 63 & 64 were fitted with Vacuum and Westinghouse brakes for
>the North Australia Railway.
>
>I was not aware of it until the day I had to find an air leak on
>one of Roberts Constructions NSU's (they ripped up the Oodnadatta
>SA to Ewaninga NT section of the old CAR) and found a whole heap
>of surplus pipe work under the cab floor, I consulted the
>Workshop manuals that Robert's obtained from ANR and found the
>full vacuum layout as fitted in the UK.!

On the subject of NSUs, why were they withdrawn following the closure of
the central narrow gauge lines? They were main line tested in the UK on
standard gauge bogies, so they could have been used in SA on standard
gauge. The NSUs (particularly those with vacuum brakes) and the NTs would
also have been useful in Tasmania.

Was it a general hatred of Sulzer?

Cheers
David