Re: Interesting rail AD in Tuesdays Australian.

mauried@commslab.gov.au (Maurie Daly) wrote:

>Maybe Im just plain stupid , but I understood the RAC simply existed to
>negotiate access agreements to the tracks for private Rail Operators.
>Since when has RAC become one of the largest transport businesses in NSW.
>I dont beleive it even owns a single wagon or loco, and why on earth does it
>need an extensive telecommunications Network,or is this yet another example of
>Govt owned GBEs simply doing there own thing.

>If one believes the content of SRAs Home Page then the following is the
>stated function of RAC.

>RAIL ACCESS CORPORATION is a small organisation with its main responsibility
>being the provision of access to the railway for train operators. It owns the
>essential fixed rail infrastructure and set operating standards (train
> negotiates with train operators to provide the train paths they need to run
>their timetables and charges fees for access. It does NOT do its own
>maintenance, repair or train control. Instead, these functions are contracted
>to the other rail businesses.
>cheers
>MD

The NSW RAIL ACCESS CORPORATION is just another State
political stunt in the long history of Australian
Railway stupidity.  It ensures NSW, who have a 31.3 per
cent voting share in National Rail, will be able to
dictate what happens within its borders.

The Feds own 72 per cent of National Rail but only have
45 per cent voting rights.!  Victoria has 23 per cent.

BTW .... I understand that National Rail Corporate
Headquarters is in Parramatta NSW.  Hmmmmmmm!

Cheers

----Tell
Alice Springs NT