Re: "Ballarat East Railway Complex" Q

David A. wrote:
> As a side issue has WCR changed the layout at Ballarat East ?  A peek
> over the fence last sunday appeared to show more stock stabled than my
> 1991 signal diagram would appear to allow.

I don't believe so.  I haven't been to Ballarat for a while, but note
some of the rollingstock is not on the track (namely the Wegmann cars).

Looking at the track diagram in August 1993 Newsrail (and working from
the top of the page working downwards - the roads are not numbered on
the diagram), I'd suggest that the roads and their usages are:

- Top road (actually the south-most road of the depot) storage of
locomotives and pass cars (including the RMS car and BK700.  Tambo was
there too, but I think it's been moved over to SRV)
- The 3 roads leading into the shed are required for shunting stuff into
the shed.  You will usually find T411 (grey), T363 (V/Line Orange) and
Y112 stabled on these roads.  T369 (WCR livery) should be there at the
moment too (it's not at Warrnambool - there's no much room at WMB while
the yard is being modified).  ACZ257 and BS207 would also be
thereabouts, and at least one of the mainline loco's, so the yard is
probably quite crowded at the moment!
- Next 2 roads used for vehicle storage.  There's CP293, a couple of BS
cars, the WAL car, CHTR's DRC and some freight vehicles on these roads.

- The bottom 2 roads used for storage of SRV Ballarat rollingstock
(including the goods shed).

There are various bits and pieces of R 711 and a some diesel loco bogies
on the turntable run-off roads.  There may have been some changes, I
haven't been to Ballarat of late.

We have the drawings for the proposed re-development up on the wall of
the workshops, I'll try and find out what the details are.

Cheers,
Craig.
--
Craig Haber