Re: Trains, Promises and NT Elections (dont forget johnie O's Election)

telljb@ozemail.com.au (Terry Burton) wrote in aus.rail:

>pcc@ocean.com.au (Leslie Brown) wrote:

>[snip]

>>Sorry Tell, but I think the Alice would be better off as a prime
>>tourist destination, rather than a 10 minute crew-change (:-)

>>Les Brown.

>Hi Les

>I will be honest and say right now that I have mixed feelings
>about this Alice to Darwin line.
>BUT the cost of constructing a high speed line from Melbourne to
>Darwin would not only be astronomical, the freight rates will
>have to be likewise for the Investors to get their money back.

>The same sort of philosophy applies to both lines, ie. once you
>build the line, the freight will follow and the line will pay.
>
>How was that old song again ....... It aint necessarily so.!

Fair enough, Tell. If the freight rates where any higher than the road
I wouldn't invest in it either, but the strange thing is that some
people expect such a line to be competitive with road freight charges.
Perhaps they're too stupid to realise this insignificant little
detail?

Les Brown.