Re: ALCO BASHING/other odd brands of horses

Nic Doncaster <nldoncas@cobweb.com.au> wrote in article
<5u3epr$oma$1@pinah.connect.com.au>...
> David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> writes:
> > Nic Doncaster wrote:
> >
> > > Anyway, you're all wrong.re EE, GM, Alco, GE, Toshiba,
> >
> > So how does Paxman rate?
>
> Did it ever run in Oz?
>
> The best was the two stroke crossley in the BP built X class.
>
> Used lube oil to run and fuel oil to lube, or just about.
>
> More fire than  a steamer.
>
> I was told by  a mate who was ex midland that in the final rebuilds some
fitter
> stuck non-genuine rings in the engine, and almost cured the oil problems.
>
> By the way CR and Sulzer go back to day one. Dean wanted it instead of
steam,
> but the dumb pollies would Allow it!
>
> nic

Hearing an X class at speed, as on the Australind, was an unforgettable
experience. I have also heard the sound of an X described as shaking a tin
can half full of marbles.
Regards,

--
Chris Stratton