970828 ABC News on Very Fast Train

   ABC Australia - Online News
   PM keen to expedite Very Fast Train project
   Thursday 28 August, 1997 (0:50am AEST)

   The Prime Minister has blamed New South Wales Premier Bob Carr for
   delaying the proposed Very Fast Train project between Sydney and
   Canberra.
   Mr Howard has written to Mr Carr calling for an urgent meeting between
   the Federal, New South Wales and ACT governments.
   The Prime Minister says progress to build a high speed rail link
   between Sydney and Canberra has slowed in recent months, and blames Mr
   Carr for cancelling several important meetings with the Federal and
   ACT Governments.
   Mr Howard has written to Mr Carr calling for urgent action.
   "I want to see the whole process acclerated," he said.
   "Because I remain very optimistic that the Very Fast Train project can
   be a very important component of Canberra's future and the future of
   this region of Australia."
   ACT Chief Minister Kate Carnell has welcomed Mr Howard's commitment.
   "We've got to speed this whole project up, we want it on the ground
   and we want it on the ground quickly," she says.
   "That's the best we've ever heard from the Federal Government."

                        Return to main newslink page

                                 ABC Online

                 (C) 1997 Australian Broadcasting Corporation
                  Updated: Thu Aug 28 01:00:02 1997 (AEST)

   AEST = Australian Eastern Standard Time which is 10 hours ahead of UTC
                           (Greenwich Mean Time)
--
Arthur Marsh, telephone +61-8-8370-2365, fax +61-8-8223-5082
              arthur@dircsa.org.au