Re: Cost of Alice Springs to Darwin.

mauried@commslab.gov.au (Maurie Daly) wrote:
>Here are some interesting figures for the Adelaide to Alice Springs Railway.
>Initial project cost $145 million.
>Total annual tonnage carried 800000 tonnes,(not a lot by normal stds.)
>Assuming a freight charge of 3 c per ntk / lower than any truck can achieve
>and only 0.5 c above worlds best practice this amounts to an annual income for
>NR of $35 million dollars, not great , but not unreasonable for the initial
>cost.
>I think the issue is whether the Railway should be built based solely on
>economic grounds which is what most dopey journalists seem to be pushing.
>You can make up your own minds about whether completing the line would be
>worth it.

>MD

Hi Maurie

The Tarcoola to Alice Springs Line would be one of the most under
utilised "long distance" lines in Australia.  One Goods up and
one down per day plus two Ghan services per week for short
periods, falling back to one service in the off season, and the
occasional Stock Train.

Cheers

----Tell
Alice Springs NT