Re: Fish & Chip(s)

In the message about  Fish & Chip(s), from TEZZA@ATINET.COM.AU to ALL!, TEZZA@ATINET.COM.AU said:"

TT> Can anyone tell me the origin of the name of the old Fish & Chip(s) service.
TT> There was a lot of discussion in the Telegraph a few years ago but I don't
TT> know what the outcome was and someone brought it up the other day.

Back in the 1800's there was a train driver by the name of Heron who was
known to drive his train particularly hard.  He regularly drove an
afternoon train from Sydney to Penrith.

As time passed he earned the nickname "herring" mased on a corruption of
his name.  And subsequently hew as called "Fish".  The name soon passed on
from the driver to the train he drove and that afternoon Sydney to Penrith
train was called "The Fish".

With the introduction of electric trains between Sydney and Lithgow the
name was transfered to an afternoon Sydney to Lithgow express service.
The name The Chips was also applied to a Sydney to Springwood stopping service
that closely followed The Fish out of Sydney... so you had Fish and Chips.
The names were adopted more or less officially and even the single deck
intercity trains running the trips carried (at one stage) illuminated
headboards proclaiming the name.  Interestingly enough, that 1800's
driver's real name was also applied for a while to an afternoon City to
Emu Plains train.

All the above services had return workings the next morning.

Anyone know if The Fish, The Chips and The Heron are applied to any
services presently?

RD

Regards,

Albert.