Re: V/Line train delays and compensation

{SNIP}
REUBEN@WERPLE.NET.NOSPAM. said:"

>RR> My question is, what action can be taken in a situation like this?  Am I
>RR> legally entitled to compensation?  I lost half a day's pay, my employer lost
>RR> my time (I had no warning it was coming), and I still had to pay the normal
>RR> price.  I don't think that was fair.  I basically didn't get what I paid
>RR> for.
>
>RR> Has anybody looked into this issue before?
>
>I don't know what the transport by-laws are like in Victoria.  But in New
>South Wales part of the "contract" you make when purchasing a ticket is
>that the train will run to the times in the timetable as far as situations
>allow but no one associated with the running of trains is liable in any for any
>delay or loss arising from it as a consequence of late running or non
>running of a train.  So that basically in NSW you can't.
>
>You may have had a better chance had you not elected to travel on the train
>even though it was late.  Read your copy of the train timetable carefully
>for any disclaimers on timely running.

Here's a thought, What about the 1974 Trade Practices Act?
That is a Fedral Act of Parliament and would invalidate any
conflicting state laws (or by-laws)? Does any one know of
any cases involving this? Or any specific exemptions?

Brendan.
bargearse maybe at bigpond, which is a dot com.
I really wish i'd paid attention in Contract Law now...