Re: Port Kembla breakwater railway

In article <349E5A42.99355896@ozemail.com.au> David Johnson, trainman@ozemail.com.au writes:
>Is the remains of a steam crane still there?

They are indeed, as are the remains of some incredibly low-tech rolling
stock.

A cycle path now crosses the line next to the old crane, and you can see
the cutting from there. The breakwater line branches off from the network
of lines that used to server the nearby fertiliser works and the small
jetties there, but which are now largely disused. I had always though that
the line on the breakwater itself was used to transport the basalt and
concrete blocks that make up the breakwater, as I doubt that the breakwater
was ever used for shipping operations. The rolling stock that I mentioned
above also looks like it has been used for this purpose (I can't imagine it
being used on main lines, at normal rail speeds).

Copyright 1997 Phil Herring. This article may not be reproduced for profit.