Re: Melbourne Ticketing.

On 23 Dec 1997 14:07:35 +1100, Clive Newall <crn@bby.com.au> wrote:

>In article <349EDC90.7557@translib.com.au> Iming Chan <chani@translib.com.au> writes:
>
>   As far as the ticketing is concerned, one ticket will be accepted by the
>   four operators (two each for trains and trams).  I believe the OneLink
>   system will allocate the revenue among the operators, but I don't know
>   exactly how the computers will do it (ie. some sort of formula, etc.?).
>
>Since you will valid your ticket every time you board a vehicle, the
>formula should be fairly trivial...
>
>Of course, the chances of anyone validating a ticket on a peak hour
>tram, particularly evening peak hour, is so close to zero as to make
>no difference. This may make the fare allocation more a hand-waving
>exercise than an exact science.
>
>Certainly for trams I expect that the percentage of tickets validated
>in any of the peak times (morning, lunch-hour in the CBD, evening) to
>be negligible. And of course these times account for the bulk of all
>tram journeys. Unless they ensure a high profile for "Revenue
>Protection Officers" at these times - and then you night as well
>call them conductors, and let them sell tickets. :-)
>
>crn

Yar, and a large number of the validating units have been invalidated
(sic) by persons unknown sticking bubble gum or similar in the card
slots. How is the driver of a driver only tram supposed to prevent
this, or other forms of vandalism, happening at _any_ time, not just
peak times, since he/she should have their eyes on the road?

Doesn't the STA in Adelaide have connies/revenue officers on their
trains from whom tickets can be purchased and _then_ validated ?  Met
card is a system high in difficulty for the passenger and low on
service.

David A.
David_Arblaster@dse.vic.gov.au  | David Arblaster,
mercury@netspace.net.au         | Melbourne, Australia
"What does it mean when a man unearths an ancient urn but buries
 his thermos flask in the process ?"  Michael Leunig