Re: NR's have Bells!?

On Sun, 07 Dec 1997 12:48:27 GMT, steam4me@enternet.com.au (Yuri J
Sos) wrote:

>While waiting to film the Kinder trains at Sunshine, a down SG steel
>transfer rolled through.  I'm sure I heard a bell ringing from the
>loco (a la North American practice).... there were a few of us
>trackside.
>
>Was I hearing things?  Do any other locos have bells?  What are the
>regs governing the use of bells on locos?
>
>Regards
>
>Yuri

NR class locomotives are the only class i know (out of NSW classes
even though i know it is a National Rail loco) to have a bell
somewhere in the engine compartments which can be operated from the
cab. Its use is unknown to me.

Maybe someone else may be able to tell you its purpose and whether
locos from other states have bells or not.

Stefan.