Re: NR's have Bells!?

"Paul Pickford" <boss@opera.iinet.net.au> wrote:

>On passenger platforms the horn is so loud it scares the crap out of
>everyone, so if they don't fit a low note horn hopefully they'll change some
>rules so the bell + PA warnings will suffice. At present safeworking rules
>say we must blow the horn, so if we have to, we give a toot on the long end
>horn, which doesn't seem as loud (to us anyway).

I assume here you're talking about NR's on the OL;  I would have
thought the rearward facing horn would give the passengers on the
platform adjacent to the train a bigger fright than the front one
pointing out into the yard.

Having said that, the melodic horn of the NRs is rapidly becoming a
favorite of mine.

Regards

Yuri