Re: V/Line loco on Epping line?

John McCallum (mccallum@melbpc.org.au) wrote:
>In article <3474DE2C.D475CA34@ugrad.unimelb.edu.au>, Chris Gordon <c.gordon@ugrad.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
>
>>But there is something to do with which loco's are allowed to pull Comeng
>>Trains.  They require a converter between the two different types of coupling.
>>I don't think that T, P, Y and other locos like this are allowed to putt comeng
>>trains (or sprinters)  with the converter.
>
>Perhaps someone in V/Line or the PTC can answer the question above, But I
>cannot see any reason why any loco could not use the converter couplings.
>It would be interesting seeing a Tait train trying to push/pull a Comeng or
>Sprinter.

There are transitiion couplers whereby locomotives and other trains (e.g.
Hitachi) can haul a train with Scharfenburg couplers (Comeng and Sprinter).
It's not something you'd want to do on a regular basis.

There were also transition couplers carried on screw coupled trains (Swing
door and Tait) so they could be pushed by a Harris or other train in case
of a breakdown.

The fun started when anything broke down and the following train was a
Walker railcar. :)

Cheers
David