Re: WT27/28 Central West XPT

David wrote:

> That got me thinking. If they are using the XP units more as single
> units,

Not by choice, by necessity.

> why not just build more powerful units, use one unit per train,

Because more powerful units would be heavier, resulting in a lower top speed.

> convert the worst XP power cars to "dummies" ie non powered driving
> trailer and use the spac ehwere the engine is for freight....

That would give you about 50 tonnes for frieght, or one container.

> On another point, what locos can maych the XPTs now if allowe dto couple
> up to their carriages and have a go down wagga way...

Any loco can couple to the carriages (hence the 73 class shunter), but none would have the
necessary power supply or M.U. connectors.

--
David Johnson
CityRail Guard