Re: XPT to Adelaide - Whyalla!

>  True that a passenger train dosn't make money sitting around. But
>the question should be asked how much money is lost from running a
>train near empty. There becomes a time when having a sitting train
>(which in effect is loosing money as well), is cheaper than running a
>loss making train.

In NSW , everywhere that XPTs sets run , they are well patronised,
There will always be a time period where a new train between two population
centres will lose money in the initial stages.
Theres no way to know whether it will be a success or not until you try it.
The cost of running an XPT set to Whyalla and back would be minimal,2 drivers
possibly 3 train crew , fuel , approx 900 litres, estimated cost about maybe
$1500 total.
Need about 75 passengers to break even , at $20 per passenger.
Id say you would have a fair chance of getting that many after a while.
If not you simply abandon the idea,but if you dont try it for a while youll
never know.
It also depends of course on what other forms of public transport to Whyalla
are available,and what cost.
Just about all forms of Govt run  rail passenger transport in Australia lose
money, it varies from state to state , and for differant reasons , but we
still run passenger trains , they serve a public benefit.
It makes no sense to not use trains if you have them in the first place ,
otherwise we should simply abandon trains for people and just run busses.

cheers
MD

Maurie Daly
Department of Communications Lab.