Re: High Speed Trains in Australia

Maurie Daly wrote:

> Ive never understood why countrylink doesnt run an XPT service to Adelaide via
> Broken Hill.
> From Parkes to Adelaide the line is essentially flat and mostly straight,
> ideal for high speed running.

At present the XPT is limited to 115 km/h on this section.  Level crossings and trackage would
need to be modified for 160 km/h running.

> It would easily compete with the IP which is slow and expensive.

I wouldn't say slow...  I have paced the IP near Mingary at nearly 140 km/h and have travelled on
it from Broken Hill to Parkes at 120 km/h most of the way.

The power to weight ratio is also similar with the Indian having 9,000 HP at the front.

--
David Johnson
CityRail Guard