Re: WT27/28 Central West XPT

Rex wrote:
<SNIP>-----
> The reason for only 1 engine is as you guessed it, short of power cars.
> Countrylink has 19 power cars and require 16 to run the rains every day.
> Today they only had 15 working so as the Dubbo is the only set that returns
> home every day, and is the lightest consist, it quite often goes out with 1
> unit or with the patched up ones that can be repaired that night. They are
> hoping to have 2 of the 4 sick units back in service tomorrow. So hopefully
> they will have one spare, provided no more die today. Out of interest 2001
> probably won't be back on the road for about 6 months. It is more or less
> being rebuilt.
> Cheers
> Rex

What back to loco hauled trains again, I thought they got rid of them
( no I am not argueing what the XPT is - just that it was a power unit
one end and carriages for the rest )

That got me thinking. If they are using the XP units more as single
units, why not just build more powerful units, use one unit per train,
convert the worst XP power cars to "dummies" ie non powered driving
trailer and use the spac ehwere the engine is for freight....

On another point, what locos can maych the XPTs now if allowe dto couple
up to their carriages and have a go down wagga way...

David Head