Re: Epping Line, Vic.

epa.epacoh@mesmtpse.ericsson.se wrote:

> What are the reasons to there being no express trains on the Epping line
> during peak times?

When express trains are scheduled for a revenue service (ie. not empty
cars for transposal or maintenance purposes), stopping all stations
trains are required to serve those stations not served by that train.
As far as Epping line is concerned, the possible express running can be
made between Flinders Street/Parliament and Clifton Hill (Jolimont is no
longer an interchange station between Flinders Street direct and City
Loop services, therefore during weekday peak it is pointless to have
express calling at that station.  However, it is an important station to
serve sporting/entertainment event at MCG, but again, they are mainly
over the weekday nights or weekends.)  However, majority of the
Hurstbridge line trains are already running express through those
stations anyway.

As I am not a regular commuter on the Epping line, I suspect the train
a train loading graph (or something similar) for Belgrave/Lilydale
line.  It is a bar graph with estimated pickup/dropoff at each station
served.  From memory, large number of commuters are boarding between
Ringwood and Box Hill (especially at Mitcham, Blackburn and Box Hill).
Once the train left Box Hill it is about 3/4 full.  Therefore, another
stop at Camberwell and Glenferrie (both with a small pickup during AM
peak/large pickup during PM peak, but Glenferrie has a large dropoff
during AM peak), the train loading is pretty much right.  Therefore,
there are express running on Belgrave/Lilydale line with a few express
running patterns.

> Is it the level of customer usage?

This, obviously, is a major factor for timetabling suburban train
services.  It is possible that express runnings will be provided for
Epping line, after the line extension to South Morang/Whittlesea(??).

> Is it the length of the line in travelling time?

Yes, this will be taken into some consideration, for example, those few
suburban (or inter-urban to be more correct) trains to Warragul.
However, one wonder about those weekend (particular Sunday) services,
when majority of them are stopping all stations.

I.C.

Translib Pty. Ltd.                                 A.C.N. 077 950 513
712 Glenferrie Road                        Telephone: +61 3 9815 1233
Hawthorn  VIC  3122                        Facsimile: +61 3 9815 1299
Australia                              Email: enquiry@translib.com.au
                                 Internet: http://www.translib.com.au
Books and Media            Information Service             Stationery
Approved CCT Library Supplier for Purchasing Victoria and MAPS Group