Re: [melb] Citadis compared to B2 Class

Jeremy Lunn wrote:

> I am just curious how Citadis compare to B2 as far as size goes.  The
> specs I saw on the web somewhere said 23 metres in length

The three-section Citadis trams on order for Melbourne are 22.693 metres
long. The two-section B2s are 23.6m long.

>   B2s are around the same length right?

Yes. See above.

> If they are the same length
> then why are they articulated in two places?

To get round the tighter curves in European cities.

>  And are they much wider?

No they are narrower.

The Citadis is 2.650m wide. The B2 is 2.77m wide. So the new trams are
not as wide, they also have far fewer seats than the B2s which will
cause an uproar when the Melbourne media discovers this.

> Citadis in Europe can be as long as 40 metres I think.

Citadis and Combino are modular trams. You can have as many sections as
you want. Whatever Swanston Trams is now called has ordered 5-section
and 3-section Combinos. Whatever Yarra Trams is now called has ordered
3-section Citadises.

My personal preference is for the Citadis, a really nice-looking tram.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand