Re: City Circle 'W' s back in service.

William Pearce wrote:

>     Thanks for the comments about mag. track brakes, I know that they have
> been around for a long time, but I'm still interested in finding out if
> anyone else has had experience of their actual use in traffic and any
> effects that they have had on passengers. Surely, someone here in Melb. has
> been on a Z, an A or a B when these brakes have been used!

On my last visit to Melbourne I went out to Bundoora RMIT late at night
on a B2 and spent some time talking to the driver about features of the
tram, including the track brakes.

There was nobody else on board as he left the terminus headed back to
town so he sped the tram up to 70 kmh (they have some control that stops
them going faster even though they could) on the reserve track, then put
his foot to the floor on the deadman pedal, which actuates the track
brake,* a gong and sanding. It stopped fairly smoothly IMO though I was
not standing and I was also prepared for it. It certainly didn't stop on
the spot... the system is designed not to lock the wheels and thus avoid
skids which would take longer to stop, and flats. It would obviously
stop quicker at a slower speed.

* Drivers have to keep their left foot on the deadman pedal. If the
pressure comes off eg if they collapse from some illness, the track
brake comes on. Similarly pushing the deadman to the floor also actuates
it. I think pushing the brake pedal to the floor suddenly also does.