Re: Conversion of a VR "J" class to standard gauge.

John Coyle wrote:

> I was amazed and very pleased to read in RD, that a VR "J" class steam loco is
> to be converted from broad to standard gauge. Now that most of Victoria is to be
> converted to standard gauge, will the remaining broad gauge in SA also be
> converted to standard gauge? It would be nice to see the Victor Harbour line
> converted to stadard gauge, too, so that tours can be operated from Adelaide.
> With the announcement about the "J", nothing seems out of the question!

I don't know if SAR locos are gauge convertable, but can you imagine the
cost of converting all of their locomotives and rolling stock!?!? If the
Victor Harbour line was standardised then I wouldn't hold out much hope
for Steamranger's survival.

At the moment, SRHC's J is under restoration (involving a complete
re-build) so they are converting it as a part of the restoration. Unless
the Melbourne - Seymour line was converted they will still have some BG
track to use as they gradually convert other items of rolling stock in
the years to come.

Even so, gauge conversion is not a good thing for the mainline
preservation groups in Victoria. As each line is converted, operators
like Steamrail and the SRHC are running out of possible destinations for
their current locos and rolling stock (and this is on top of the
complications and problems that privatisation has created). Although it
is very easy to say "convert the locos and rolling stock to SG", it is a
very expensive and hard thing to do for a non-profit volunteer
organisation, especially when some locos like the K's aren't even
designed for gauge conversion.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail: