RE: PT Lobby

In any case, whether the PTUA has 5,000, or only 1,000 members, they are
>doing a god jom, in general. But, being BANNED by the Victorian Minister for
>Transport, may lead to a move away from threats, "demands" and a them and us,
>attitude! Get the CFPT newsletter, the "Public Transport Advocate" from Paul
>Mees, for a list of PT improvements that CFPT have gained since 1990.

First point:
If you write to Paul Mees, or to me, unless you mark it "personal" the
office
volunteers will open it. Upon seeing its a newsletter, they put it on
display
in the office. I do often read the PTA with interest and note some of the
worthwhile things you have contributed to.

As for the banning, it says things about the Minister, not the PTUA. In the
last few weeks, the Minister has launched hysterical attacks on the
respected
public policy academic Professor Bill Russell, as well as the ALP-controlled
councils of Moreland and Darebin and the Metropolitan Transport Forum. So we
are in good company there.

>APT has around 600 to 700 members. I have friends who run the group, so I
accept
>their word for that.

Maybe if they count someone who joined ten years ago and never renewed...
(I'm
not having a go at APT here, I just find it hard to believe they have
anything
like 700 members).

 CFPT has around 50 members. I meet QR and Queensland DOT
>managers about once a year to discuss PT issues, and provide submissions. Not
so
>much the DOT of late, but QR, for sure.

Yes, and they spend half an hour of their time listening politely and then
they say "Yes, thank you Mr Coyle" and do the opposite.

 But, as would know, nobody can FORCE the
>authorities to accept a lobby groups ideas all the time. And, CERTAINLY not
>their "demands". The word DEMAND turns OFF PT authorities. Try examine,
>consider, etc, instead of demand. The current "ban" on the PTUA just might be
>lifted, if that step is taken! For PT uses sake, I HOPE that the PTUA will
have
>access to the minister, again, soon.

Doncha just love being lectured on how to run a lobby group by the president
of a group with 50 members who meets mid-level bureaucrats once a year and
whose crowning achievement was a small contribution to getting smoking
banned
on interstate buses?

(Actually, as a non-smoker with a dislike for second hand smoke I appreciate
that achievement, not that I use interstate buses. I'm ashamed to say that
when smoking was banned on Melbourne PT 20 years ago, the PTUA opposed it. I
can't be blamed, because I was in nappies at the time.)

Vaughan