Re: RE: PT Lobby

In article <3B146E9E@MailAndNews.com>, Vaughan Williams says...

>In any case, whether the PTUA has 5,000, or only 1,000 members, they are
>>doing a god jom, in general. But, being BANNED by the Victorian Minister for
>>Transport, may lead to a move away from threats, "demands" and a them and us,
>>attitude! Get the CFPT newsletter, the "Public Transport Advocate" from Paul
>>Mees, for a list of PT improvements that CFPT have gained since 1990.
>
>First point:
>If you write to Paul Mees, or to me, unless you mark it "personal" the
>office
>volunteers will open it. Upon seeing its a newsletter, they put it on
>display
>in the office. I do often read the PTA with interest and note some of the
>worthwhile things you have contributed to.
>
>As for the banning, it says things about the Minister, not the PTUA. In the
>last few weeks, the Minister has launched hysterical attacks on the
>respected
>public policy academic Professor Bill Russell, as well as the ALP-controlled
>councils of Moreland and Darebin and the Metropolitan Transport Forum. So we
>are in good company there.
>
>>APT has around 600 to 700 members. I have friends who run the group, so I
>accept
>>their word for that.
>
>Maybe if they count someone who joined ten years ago and never renewed...
>(I'm
>not having a go at APT here, I just find it hard to believe they have
>anything
>like 700 members).
>

> CFPT has around 50 members. I meet QR and Queensland DOT
>>managers about once a year to discuss PT issues, and provide submissions. Not
>so
>>much the DOT of late, but QR, for sure.
>
>Yes, and they spend half an hour of their time listening politely and then
>they say "Yes, thank you Mr Coyle" and do the opposite.
>
> But, as would know, nobody can FORCE the
>>authorities to accept a lobby groups ideas all the time. And, CERTAINLY not
>>their "demands". The word DEMAND turns OFF PT authorities. Try examine,
>>consider, etc, instead of demand. The current "ban" on the PTUA just might be
>>lifted, if that step is taken! For PT uses sake, I HOPE that the PTUA will
>have
>>access to the minister, again, soon.
>
>Doncha just love being lectured on how to run a lobby group by the president
>of a group with 50 members who meets mid-level bureaucrats once a year and
>whose crowning achievement was a small contribution to getting smoking
>banned
>on interstate buses?
>
>(Actually, as a non-smoker with a dislike for second hand smoke I appreciate
>that achievement, not that I use interstate buses. I'm ashamed to say that
>when smoking was banned on Melbourne PT 20 years ago, the PTUA opposed it. I
>can't be blamed, because I was in nappies at the time.)
>
>Vaughan

Vaughan, I know this is going back and forth a bit, but I feel it is worth
stating a few facts.

I met with the director of passenger transport at the DOT, not a 'middle
manager". And, with senior management at QR, including people like Glen Dawe and
John Atkin. Again, these people were not middle management. Of interest, is that
both of those managers were sacked by the QR CEO!

Les Chandra has promised that he will respond to my E-Mail. I did put attention
to Paul Mees, or Les Chandra, at the top of my message. I never got a reply.
Ditto, when I wrote letters to both of those men. Common courtesy should mean
that people who write to a lobby group, government, or Prime Minister, are given
a reply to their letter, Vaughan.

If I had been told by somebody from the PTUA that they had contacted the Herald
Sun, say, four times, and they still refuse to publish the times for the "Ghan",
I would be amazed, but, I would accept that at least the group had tried to have
the paper publish correct information.

I would offer a suggestion in relation to the use of certain words, when
contacting the Minisirt for Transport, or in articles in the PTUA newsletter.
And, in doing so, I am not being a smart ass, but, attempting to assist the
group. It is an error to use the word, must, for example. Use the word should,
instead. Never use the word, demand, when you mean, urge!

Yes, I do take the word of people like Kevin Eadie and Allan Miles, when they
say that APT have 600 members. But, does it matter whether they have that many
members, or perhaps only 200?

As you may see in the PTA, the group has had some well worthwhile success. The
introduction of the Brisbane-Longreach "Spirit of the Outback", the introduction
of the QR/McCafferty's Road-Rail pass, and improved Brisbane suburban timetable
books, are just some of the CFPT conceps accepted by QR.

However, you are at least partly correct, when you say that QR give me half an
hour, and say, yes to some of the concepts raised, but then do nothing about it!

Vaughan, it's the victories that keep one going in PT lobby work, not the
frustrating hard work that is ignored by authorities.