Re: Re: [Melb] Airport Heavy Rail Connection Needed!

Daniel Bowen wrote in message ...

>"Derick Wuen" <cullend@webone.com.au> wrote in message
>3b07c6f6$1@iridium.webone.com.au">news:3b07c6f6$1@iridium.webone.com.au...
>> Daniel Bowen wrote in message ...
>> >
>> >"Derick Wuen" <cullend@webone.com.au> wrote in message
>> >3b0723a2@iridium.webone.com.au">news:3b0723a2@iridium.webone.com.au...
>So
>> >
>> >Skybus is $12. A taxi to the city would, by my estimate, be around $30.
>> Last
>> >time I went from the airport to my home by taxi (roughly twice the
>distance
>> >as from the city) it was about $60.
>> >
>> Paid $40 SSS-Tullamarine last Wednesday, includes $3 "freeway" surcharge.
>
>Ah okay. Was that in peak hour? IIRC, the taxi fares are distance-based,
but
>you do pay for sitting around in traffic.

Of course it was in peak hour.... thats when I travel. Before and after
business hours. No way I can avoid it without travelling well before morning
peak and well after afternoon peak. Most of the business community is
available 9-5, not other times. Airline schedules are constructed
accordingly. As I said, makes for a loooonnng day. Thats my fundamental
whinge. Road transport does not cope with peak requirements.

>Citylink is in no way a freeway, btw. Quite definitely a tollway.

Thanks (for stating the bleedin' obvious). My point is that in most other
cities the rail link does away with this problem and the attendant
unreliability of road transport.