Re: [Vic] Taradale to get train service?

On Sun, 13 May 2001 17:40:46 +1000, "James C."
<james_ccj@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

There no way that train will stopped at Taradale.    With all the talk
of reducing travel time between Bendigo and  Melbourne I cannot see
the people of Taradale getting them back.  What about Malmbury ??????

Sorry     No trains

>http://www.heraldsun.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,1993449%255E2862,00.htm
>

>Town wants its station back
>By ADRIAN TAME
>13may01
>
>RESIDENTS of a central Victorian town want their railway station re-opened.
>
>The trouble is a State Government official is using it as a weekender,
>according to the town's spokeswoman.
>Bob Wilson is an adviser in the Office of the Director of Public Transport.
>He has leased the Taradale Railway Station for about 25 years.
>
>He told the Sunday Herald Sun he had no say in whether the station
>re-opened, saying it was the responsibility of a private company, V/Line
>Passenger.
>
>"It is entirely their decision," Mr Wilson said.
>
>But V/Line Passenger's spokesman, Daniel Maloney, said: "We have no say over
>Taradale station. Our trains run through it, but we don't own it nor lease
>it.
>
>"The station is owned by VicTrack, a Government body."
>
>When told of that comment, Mr Wilson said: "I don't argue with that, but it
>doesn't change what I said. I don't have any say in whether V/Line Passenger
>decides to apply to re-open the station."
>
>Taradale's spokeswoman, Isobel Deridisi, has a 200-signature petition
>seeking the station be re-opened, and she wants the Transport Minister,
>Peter Batchelor, to intervene.
>
>Mrs Deridisi says the town needed a station to allow:
>
>* People travel to Melbourne for medical appointments.
>
>* Children to go to school.

  Most children travel by bus to school

>* The jobless to seek work.

  What jobs  ????   Castlemaine & Kyneton  would be the first port of
call for jobless.