Re: [Melb] Airport Heavy Rail Connection Needed!

Jeremy Lunn wrote in message ...
>In article <3b026c96$1@iridium.webone.com.au>, Derick Wuen wrote:
>> When is Melbourne going to join the rest of the civilised world with a
fast,
>> frequent, convenient airport heavy rail link?
>
>Why heavy rail and not light rail?  Wouldn't a complete off road light
>rail witha  more frequent service be better than heavy rail?

If by light rail you mean frequent service with frequent stops and therefore
low average speeds no thanks.

Another post has pointed out the ridiculously close proximity of the heavy
rail newtork to the airport without having to reclaim a dedicated off road
(congestion free) light rail route.

Light(ish) vs. heavy rail comparison is available at London Heathrow. The
heavy rail gets my vote for comfort etc over the "underground", despite the
Paddington transfer (in most cases a transfer between underground lines will
be required in any case).

Besides which I much prefer trains to trams!

>Anyway I didn't find the airport bus too bad apart from the fact that I
>alway seem to have to wait 15-20 minutes for it and then twice I have
>come back to Spencer St station on a Sunday night and had to wait 40
>minutes!  The bus isn't so bad now if you use the freeway express.

except at evening peak when the freeway aint so free.