Re: Mildura Trains

"David Bromage" <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
3AFF2010.D6606B46@fang.omni.com.au">news:3AFF2010.D6606B46@fang.omni.com.au...
> "James C." wrote:
> > To complete the journey in 5 or 6 hours would not be an easy task and
> > definitely need lots of track work . You probabily need tilt train.
>
> A tilt train wouldn't be much use on the long, relative straight track
> in the north of the state. 6 hours only requires an average speed of
> about 100km/h. You can do this with 160km/h running.
>
> > If they
> > will order new Sprinter as described in The Age then they should call
for
> > tender right now for ready in service by 2004.
>
> Meanwhile, they could bring back the Vinelander. 4 of the 5 sleeping
> cars are usable, and WCR has Overland cars.

4 of the 5?  Can I assume you mean the SZ is unusable?  What's the problem
with the car that isn't useable?  From the West Block Yard at Newport, next
to East block (or centre block, the other stone building on the other side
of the clock tower), looking through the windows, the vinelander cars look
to be all intact and ready to go other than for a quick mechanical ovrehaul
and a lick of paint.

Adam