Re: Melbourne to get a monorail?

"Bill Bolton" <billbolton@computer.org> wrote in message
4ekkftkq4rack5m9dkifq9mhg7nifis1og@4ax.com">news:4ekkftkq4rack5m9dkifq9mhg7nifis1og@4ax.com...
> "Brendan" <nadnerb_2000@nospam.start.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Sydney's monorail has high patronage
>
> ROFL.... where did you get that howler from?

You been on one lately? They carry something like a million passengers or
more per year.

>> Whats wrong with them anyway?

>High cost, low capacity, even lower flexibility.

Sydneys are low capacity, but Tokyo's arent. Each monorail carriage is
almost as long as a bus. As for high cost, setting aside land for trams in
the middle of a city, and building in the midddle of major sydney streets is
kind of expensive - as I recall it was $65 million for 3.6 km of Sydney
Light Rail (dont get me wrong, I'm a supporter of the trams).

Brendan