Re: Rail Malaysia

"Marc Hunt" <tcpkl@po.jaring.my> wrote in message
9dbi9r$54l$1@news6.jaring.my">news:9dbi9r$54l$1@news6.jaring.my...
> Went down to the new Kuala Lumpur "Sentral" Station today to have a look
at
> the 1457 Singapore train and the 1458 Butterworth train.
>
> The 1457 Singapore service3 consisted of:
> Loco 24126 - A Toshiba/Kawasaki Japanese Built Diesel Electric
> Power Car PGC219 - 1997 Malaysian built
> ASC 2175 - 1994 Hyundai built Second Class 2x2 Sitting
> Asc 2164 - 1992 Hyundai
> ASC 2168 - 1992 Hyundai
> ASC 2183 - 1994 Hyundai
> ASC 2171 - 1994 Hyundai
> AFC 1410 - 92 Hyundai, First Class 1x2 Sitting
> No Brake/Guards van only a F.R.E.D.
>
> In true Malaysian style the Singapore train waited until 1506 before
getting
> underway. It was interesting to note that each car was only half full,
then
> it struck me that everyone on board had taken seats facing forward and
> shunning all the rear facing seats.
>
> The 1458 Buttreworth train didn't show uo until 1523 with:
> Loco 24124 another Toshiba/Kawasaki built DE
> PGC 209 Power Car
> and roughly the same consist as the Singapore service.
>
> A blanket question here is does anyone have any info on these Loco's ?
>
> --
> Marc Hunt
> ex-pat Aussie
> KL-Malaysia
> march@pip.com.au

Can't find anything on the web about modern day rolling stock in Malaysia
and Thailand.  Couldn't see much in the way of books either, checked a
couple of bookstores in Singapore and Bangkok recently, though I believe
there's a new one out on the history of Thai railways.

The new Sentral station is certainly impressive, but doesn't rival the
former main station in architectural magnificence.  It was still in use when
we were there a few weeks ago.  Perhaps State Rail could copy the prayer
rooms, so that intending passengers can pray that their train runs to
schedule and don't meet with unfortunate occurrences.  What will they do
with the former station now that long distance trains run through?

Yes the carriages in Malaysia are Hyundais from Korea, we rode a Daewoo
railcar set in Thailand.  Wonder if there are any Kia trains about?

The first train we took from Singapore had a GM diesel electric up front, it
was built in Canada in 1990.

Regards

David Bennetts