Re: [QLD] Airport train, QROTI, Park Road, and interchange times :)

Brendan Morley <morb_@_bit_._net_._au> wrote:

> I've noticed this thread and I can confirm the following:
> All track is at least double except for:

> Ferny Grove:  Mitchelton <-> Keperra <-> Ferny Grove (2 platforms at FG)
> Oxford Park is an island platform but has only one tracked platform face.
  The reason why I noticed this was the timetabling from Mitchelton
to Ferny Grove to Mitchelton is very interesting.  In particular service
1778 originating at Ferny Grove

  Ferny Grove: 5:29pm, Keperra: 5:32pm, Grovely: 5:34pm, Oxford Park: 5:35pm
  Mitchelton: 5:41pm (6 minute gap here).

  Service 1E67 is running north leaving Mitchelton at 5:40pm,
Oxford Park 5:42pm, Grovely 5:43pm, Keperra 5:44pm and Ferny Grove 5:47pm

> Shorncliffe:  Sandgate <-> Shorncliffe (1 platform at Shorncliffe + storage
> for 2 MUs)
> Sunshine Coast:  North of Caboolture, a crossing loop at each Station except
> Cooroy (that one is about 2 min north, called "Sunrise")
> Airport:  Airport Junction <-> International (then double to Domestic)
  Remembering my airport trip to Domestic on Monday, I'm sure single
sections do exist between International and Domestic.  Anyone else
agree with this?
> Doomben:  Eagle Junction <-> Ascot <-> Doomben
> Ipswich/Rosewood:  Nil
> Beenleigh:  South of Ormeau, a crossing loop at each Station. (2 pl at
> Robina)
> Cleveland:  Manly <-> Lota <-> Thorneside <-> Wellington Point <-> Cleveland
> (2 pl at Clev)

  Thanks for the rest of this, I'll be storing this and reviewing it.
Lately I've been attempting to retimetable some of the lines on paper
in my spare time.  So far I've have had a lot of "theoretical" collisions
between various services everywhere ;-)

> The reason that Cleveland is a line on its own was due to relatively
> atrocious on time running (due to the knock on effect of arriving at
> crossing loops late).

  I noticed in a 1995 timetable that the Cleveland line used to be
Green (continuing to Caboolture), and that the Ipswich line was blue
(continuing to Shorncliffe).

> Nice bit of QA there (-:
> That service is a little quirky as it claims to catch up that lost minute
> between South Bank and South Brisbane.  QROTI tends to smooth out such
> anomalies, making them a little earlier if anything.

  I've crossreferenced this one with the Doomben/Cleveland timetables,
both are printed at 7:09am.  You are right though, the timetabling from
Vulture St to Sth Bris has changed.  One day I'll catch this service
and look at it from South Brisbane on the monitor (be interesting to
see if it actually runs on time).

>>         Been   Clev   Ipsw   F G    Cabl   Shor   G C
>>   Been         24/54  22/52  T      20/50  5      4
>>   Clev  24     -      7      20     5      20     5
>>   Ipsw  8      23/53  -      20     T      20     27
>>   F G   T      22/52  6      -      17     2      24
>>   Cabl  4      21/51  T      1/31   -      26/56  24
>>   Shor  19     6      20     16/46  26/56  -      8
>>   G C   T      6      12     T      10     25     -

> Note though that for your fr Cb to FG and fr FG to Sh times, you can usually
> forget rushing between pl 1/2 (FG) to pl 3/4 (others) in the 1/2 minutes
> allotted.  (-:
  Agreed.  The reason why I worked all of this out and forwarded it to QR
was I considered numerous interchanges to be badly timetabled.  Some being
too short, and others far too long.  With 21 possible interchange times
(not including the Sunshine Coast and Airport lines) it isn't possible
to have good times for all of them.  However more than half of them
I consider excessive (having to wait more than half the time between
scheduled services).

> A little known feature of the TVM is that it will account for a 2/3 minute
> interchange time and line up the services appropriately.
  Actually I've noticed this, as I use it extensively for journeys everywhere
(both via Tennyson and South Brisbane).  The fare information comes in useful
each month when I review my monthly train travel to work out which monthly
ticket I should buy (I can't buy one ticket to cover all my journeys).

--

Steven McIntyre
stev@uq.net.au